A Complete Guide To Home Heating Systems 

Need a guide to home heating systems? When selecting the ideal heating system, you might find there are too many options out there. By installing the appropriate system, you can maintain a comfortable temperature inside your home during the cold winter months.

This guide will help you understand how different heating systems work and why they’re useful so you can opt for the one that best matches your needs. 

Most Common Home Heating Systems & How They Work

Heating systems are heating units that help maintain a comfortable temperature in your home. They’re used in most cities during the cold winter season to keep homes at an appropriate level of warmth. This may be achieved through different fueling options: electricity, oil, natural gas, propane, cordwood, wood pellets, and geothermal energy.  

Heating systems work by heating the air and distributing it throughout your home. The heating units are typically found in basements, attics, crawl spaces, and homes’ garages to heat different rooms depending on their function. Among the most common home heating systems, you will find the following:

  • Fireplaces  

One of the most affordable home heating systems in the market are fireplaces and stoves. The main fuel option is wood. To generate less smoke, you can use well-seasoned wood. Only 15% of the energy fireplaces produce is turned into heat; the other 85% is energy loss is directed to the chimney. Fireplaces require manual feeding and constant monitoring, which can be a downside if you are looking to relax. They’re an excellent cozy option for your home if you are looking for an amazing wood scent. 

  • Boilers – Radiant Floor Heat  

A radiant heating boiler can be installed in most homes and it provides heating to the rooms through floor heating. It is very energy efficient compared to other heating systems because of its design – there are no radiators or fan-forced heaters that need more space, consume more power, and have different maintenance needs. Boilers can be easily installed at homes, heating water that flows through the pipes to heat up different living spaces. 

  • Furnaces

Fueled by gas, furnaces are designed to heat air and blow warm heat through ducts into all living spaces of your home. First, air is collected through the return register. Once the air is filtered,  the furnace starts after it receives a signal from the thermostat. The electronic ignition starts the burner component and heats the metal exchanger. The heat circulates through the heat exchanger and moves across the tubes. Finally, the blower motor and fan move the heat out of the supply register and into all areas of your home. 

  • Heat pumps

A heat pump is a type of heating system that transfers heat from one place to another.This energy-efficient heating system has two main components: indoor and outdoor units connected by a refrigerant line. During the cold winter season, the outdoor unit incredibly pulls heat from the air outside your home. Then, the warm air then goes through a refrigerant line and is compressed to increase the temperature. Commonly, heating pumps are appliances or machines attached to a HVAC unit that use electricity in order to force the transfer of heat energy into your home during winter months. 

Choose The Best Heating System For Your Home | Kay Heating & Air Conditioning

People use heating systems to maintain a comfortable temperature inside their homes. When winter comes, one of your main priorities is keeping your loved ones warm. HVAC companies can guide you through the process of selecting the ideal heating system for your home. 

Different heating systems have different efficiency percentages, which is why you should research before installing one at home. If the system you choose receives proper heating maintenance services, it can last for years without any problems. 

Looking for the best HVAC services in Greensboro? Kay Heating & Air Conditioning is here to help! We offer residential, commercial, and maintenance services. If you are looking for residential heating in Greensboro, contact us!